Why get a home inspection?
Top 10 reasons to get a house inspection
See a sample report
- Evaluate the physical condition: the structure, construction and mechanical systems.
By reviewing the actual physical condition of the property before you buy or rent or sell, you won't be surprised by things that may cost thousands or at leastsave you time and energy later. Simply knowing is better than not knowing.
- Identify items that should be repaired or replaced.
If something needs to be replaced or repaired you are at least in control of your situation. Either decide if the money to be spent is worth it or be prepared and go to the bank before it is too late.
- Estimate the remaining useful life of the major systems (such as electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning), equipment, structure and finishes.
Knowing that a major component will last or need replacement puts you in a better position to make a decision.
- Spending hundreds may save you thousands.
Spending a few dollars today to give you the information that you could use later that may save you thousands of dollars in unexpected repairs or maintenance that you were not prepared for. Better yet, if the report turns up something major then you have a way to re-negotiate or decide not to purchase.
- Home inspectors know how landscaping can affect a property.
Simple things like knowing how landscaping can affect water flow and insect control can save tens of thousands of dollars. Your home inspector can help determine if proper methods were used and what can be done to remedy.
- Home inspections are a way in, not a way out.
A home inspection is not to be used as a way to back out of a contract. Of course if an issue or issues arise that are overwhelming, it is probably best to not buy. However, just knowing what issues there are is just as valuable as having nothing wrong. Many people are capable either in experience or ability to pay for resolving issues. A property may have a lot more going for it than a few problems that can be fixed.
- A home inspection is like a user manual.
When your home inspection is completed, you will receive a bound manual of all of the major facet covered by your home with links to an internet site that can teach you all about how problems arise and how to remedy them. This is more valuable than having a handyman in the house!
- A pre-listing inspection sells your house faster.
Having a properly done house inspection before you list your property will ensure that your house sells faster than the house next door. The reason is simple: There are no hidden surprises!